Tullahassee was first a Creek town and had the Creek Academy, The Tullahassee Mission School. In 1880 the town and school were abandoned by the Creeks and left to Creek and Seminole freedmen. The town already had infrastructure built up that could then be used by the freedmen to create their own community. In the 1930s-40s, people would have been drawn to Tullahassee because of the sense of community, the in-place infrastructure, and the Flipper Davis Junior College. This school was one of the few Black colleges in Oklahoma at the time.